Working at IfM Engage
IfM Engage provides a friendly and rewarding work environment in a thriving, diverse University community. We have teams working in consultancy services, policy, executive education, finance, marketing, events, communications and operations.
Roles within Engage offer rewarding careers and support the Institute for Manufacturing (IfM) in impact-generating activities across the world.
When you join Engage, you are not just joining a business but a community.
Digital Solution Engineer - Digital Shoestring Unit
Digital Manufacturing on a Shoestring was a successful research programme which devised an affordable, easy-to-implement approach to help manufacturers try out small-scale digital solutions that will not disrupt core operations, but which can provide immediate benefits.
A Digital Shoestring Unit was established at IfM Engage in 2022 to oversee the transition of the research project into a viable, self-sustaining industrial programme. The formation of the Unit is being funded by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation.
In order for the Shoestring programme to transition from research into industry use, a number of key objectives have been identified:
- The expansion of a Digital Shoestring Unit to develop key offerings (training, membership etc) and support regions in developing their own local Shoestring programme
- An online portal giving access to the Shoestring configuration platform, pre-configured solutions, training and how-to guides, a community platform and installer directory.
- Shoestring training programmes for SME manufacturers, service providers and apprentices
- Train-the-trainer programmes for teachers in FE colleges, apprentice training centres and similar, to allow at-scale UK-wide dissemination of the Shoestring platform and approach.
- Enabling regional and international bodies to lead on Shoestring in their local region or country, including local pilot deployments.
The Digital Shoestring Unit is incorporated into IfM Engage, which is wholly owned by the University of Cambridge. Profits from IfM Engage are gifted to the University of Cambridge to fund future research activities.
Role and responsibilities
We are looking for someone with electronics and software development experience and good communication skills who will use their technical expertise to contribute to the future direction of Shoestring.
The Digital Solution Engineer has the following main responsibilities:
- Solution design and build – Design and build of low cost digital solutions, following the Shoestring technical architecture and design principles
- Industrial deployment – Working closely with businesses in the design and implementation of Shoestring solutions
- Standard solution development – Supporting the development of standard Shoestring solutions which can be deployed in multiple companies.
This is a 1-year fixed term contract role and is full-time. However, we are open to conversations around flexible working and operate a hybrid working policy. The salary band for this role is circa £39,000 plus a generous benefits package, including healthcare.
To apply for this role, please send your CV and cover letter to: Alison Martin, Senior Office Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 5th January 2024
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
“I feel privileged to work with such a diverse group of talented professionals, united by the shared goal of extending the reach and impact of IfM research. We work with leading brands and organisations worldwide, and I value the opportunity to build new links and connections that pave the way for lasting change in crucial areas like sustainability and innovation.”
Rob Driver, Marketing Manager
IfM Engage is an Equal Opportunities Employer. The company is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of age, sexual orientation, gender, pregnancy, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, disability, medical history, skin colour, marital status, genetic information, or parental status and will make hiring decisions on merit.